Atripla's Effect on Liver?

HIV pos. on Atripla almost 2 years (undetectable), HCV in remission(undetectable ) following 48 weeks of (terrible) Pegylated Interferon Alpha therapy w/ ribavirin) (6 mos. post-therapy test coming up). So, will long term, totally adherent use of Atripla cause liver problems down the road/ Also, what is a good bmi for someone HIV positive? same as anybody else? Thank you for your precious time and helping all of us. You're the BEST!

I am so happy to hear about your undetectable HCV viral load - hope you will get a great result at 6 months post treatment. You deserve it!

Atripla is a great medication for HIV. It is also one of my favorite choices for patients with liver disease.

Several studies show that suppression of HIV virus is good for the liver as well - I suspect that is because suppression of HIV also leads to lower levels of inflammatory hormones that circulate in the body.

Finally, yes a good BMI for an HIV positive person is the same as for anyone else. I discuss BMI with my patients because I want their weight to be within the optimal BMI (body mass index) for their height and weight. I am concerned about any of my patients who are overweight. This can lead to fatty liver disease (and diabetes, heart disease, etc). Stay trim and exercise!!!!

Recently diagnosed hiv&hepc
Hepatitis symptoms