HIV meds/liver regeneration

Good Morning Doctor! Just how tough are Hiv medications like Atripla and ziagen on the liver after yrs. of very compliant treatment? Also, I'm midway through my 48 mo. cycle of pegInterferon/ribavirin, having cleared the HCV at 12 wks on heptimax test (went from 9.5 million to 1065 at wk 4). If I have a sustained virological reaction following treatment, does the liver regenerate itself over time so that most of the HCV damage is reversed? I was a Stage I patient. Thank you!

There are several studies now suggesting that ongoing HIV suppression is very good for liver health. I think this is related to the fact that suppressing HIV also leads to suppression of other hormones/cytokines that are harmful to the liver. Effective antiretroviral therapy is extremely important for your liver health.

As for your HCV treatment - yes I would hope that you will get a cure - and that yes your liver will regenerate. No or little alcohol as well will be helpful. Be certain that you are immunized against HAV and HBV.

Serology
cirrhosis4