HIV/HCV/Epstein-Barr/Malaria

Greetings Dr. M! I'm HIV+ (undetectable on Atripla), cleared HVC at 4 weeks, now w/ 10 weeks to go (38 done)on pegylated interferon/copegus. I had very high levels of Epstein_Barr virus found w/ non-Hodgkin's lymphoma large cell B (in remission 2 yrs) and a history of malaria. My T cells are low (100 given inteferon therapy, cell % good) Do I ever get treated fro the Epstein-Barr or malaria? My IF doctor said he doesn't know. Heptologist says "that's a good question" but never has any answers. My inyternist says EBV is nothing to worry about ... but it almost killed me. Any advice? Thank you.

You have multiple good news points:

1. You have a non-detectable viral load on Atripla 2. You are responding beautifully to HCV treatment and have a high chance of cure due to the rapid response at 4 weeks. 3. You are in remission for lymphoma.

Since we don't have a specific antiviral for EBV, I think the most important issue is to keep your immune system healthy. Although your CD4 count has gone down, we expect that on interferon. That is why I never look at the CD4 counts while a patient is on interferon - I only look at the CD4 percentage, which in your case is "good".

I think cure of your hepatitis C infection will also be good for your immune system so keep taking your medications faithfully. A good immune system will keep your lymphoma hopefully in check.

Hope this is helpful and most of all reassuring. Sounds like you are making wonderful progress.

Hep C Hope
Neupogen for CD4 counts