Hep C Hope

I am a 57 yr old male in good health. I was diagnosed with Hep C about 4 yrs ago. I had a liver biopsy and the doc said on a scale of 1-10, my stage was about a 3. After much research and discussion, I opted NOT to do the Inferon Treatment. I eat healthy (watch the chemicals, etc.), drink lots of water, watch the drinking, etc.

I'm going to go in for another Biopsy soon I hope (is that recommended after 3 1/2 to 4 yrs? My doc told me that IF I take care of myself, my liver could last another 15 years or more. ***I am at a turning point in a relationship and want to spend the rest of my life with the lady I love, but don't want to drag her thru my illness and be a burden to her.

Would "you" do the Inferon treatment?

Thanks

It really depends on the biopsy - if it shows that fibrosis is not progressing, you don't necessarily have to do anything.

However, if there is clear progression I would go on therapy. It would be important to monitor your results at 4 and 12 weeks and if you are responding, I would finish out the course of treatment. If not, I would stop since the results at these time points are strongly predictive of outcome.

I would continue your plan of drinking little alcohol. There will probably be new drugs in a few years as well which may make augment the results we see with interferon/ribavirin so stay tuned.

hepatitis b affects cd4 counts?
HIV/HCV/Epstein-Barr/Malaria