HCV

Recently i found from blood donation that i have anti-HCV reactive. Please interpret following result : 1st s.c. 10.08 2nd s.c. 9.9 3rd s.c 9.1 RIBA Positive NAT DHCV Positive

i was asked to check confirmatory test, as it is just screening. Please inform which test I do, my liver function test earlier done before a year shows following : S.G.P.T.(ALT) 16.0 U/L

S.Bilirubin Total 0.7 mg/dl direct 0.3 mg/dl indirect 0.4 mg/dl

please inform, i'm 36 years and which test i require at this stage and was planning to go for my second child. Please suggest. Many Thanks

When someone is HCV antibody positive, and there is doubt about infection, sometimes a confirmatory test of RIBA is performed. Yours is positive so you have been exposed to HCV in the past.

However, I still don't know if you have virus in your bloodstream to tell me if your disease is still present. You would need a HCV RNA test for that.

If positive, the risk of transmission to your baby is very low at about 5% and many babies can clear the infection on their own even if they are infected. If infected, they can be treated as children and they do very well in terms of any side effects.

gillbert syndrom
needle prick