Pregnant and scared

Dear Dr. McGovern,

Thanks for your work on this forum. I had something happen at the dentist a few weeks ago that has me quite worried. I was sitting in the dentist chair and noticed a small spot of blood on the spout leading into the bowl. The technician was out of the room and like an idiot I touched the spot with my pinky nail and it a small amount of dried blood scraped off . I immediately went to the ladies room and washed my hands (I first washed the finger that touched the blood then washed the rest of my hands a few times over). At the time I had no visible wounds on that finger, but I did have some cracked knuckles on my other fingers (from the dry weather). So to further complicate things I am 28 weeks pregnant and very worried this may hurt the baby. Am I at risk of Hep B or C in this instance? I plan to get tested at the three month mark for HIV and Hep B and C. This will be right before my due date. What do you suggest in this case? Would I need to test at 6 months and one year as well? It may be obvious from this post, but I do have a blood/contamination phobia and everyone in my family thinks I am nuts to even be worried.

You are not "nuts" to be worried. You are pregnant and you are naturally worried about the health of your baby. I will reassure you that I do NOT consider this a risk event.

hepatitis b
gillbert syndrom