Chance of SVR?

Hi, my husband is coinfected, (HIV is undetectable) and currently on Infergen 3 times a week, supposedly for 18 months. My question is, since this is his third time undergoing HCV treatment, (the first two times, he went to undetectable, but relapsed within 3 months) does he have a CHANCE at getting an SVR, and if he doesn't (Which is HIV doctor said he probably wouldn't) would the therapy be beneficial in any way, meaning would it bide him some time to try other therapies? Please answer. Thank you.

I would agree with his doctor that the chance that this treatment will lead to a sustained response is not high. However, if he has a non-detectable virus during the time of his treatment, there is some information which suggests that suppression of virus is associated with less inflammation in the liver.

Hopefully in 3 to 5 years we will have some additional drugs for HCV that will be combined with interferon and ribavirin. Your husband will be a great candidate for these new drugs since he does respond - he just doesn't maintain his response.

what is diffused fatty liver?
hep c1a