Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Urgent Plz - HCV
Feb 14, 2009

In June 2008 i diagonsed as HCV infected and i stared the treatment from Mid of July 2008 (Having the

Injections in my Stomach on alternate days).In Oct 2008 my doctor was suggested me to have and

QULITATIVE HCV PCR - RNA and the report was cleared and Saying that "RNA NOT DETECTED" and then i

continued the treatment until JAN 2009 and got the 72th injection on 08/01/2009.Then i decied to back to work

and as per my Company Requirement i i went to a public clinic to have the Hepatites Infection Profile test and the Result was showig that HCV Result is POSITIVE and Ranges NEGATIVE.Can you Please tell me that what does it mean?M i still infected?Or my staff is not risk means can it b transfer to anyone? please i need the Urgent Reply

Thanks

GOD BELSS YOU ALL

Response from Dr. McGovern

It is important to distinguish between a HCV antibody test and a HCV viral load test.

The antibody test will most likely be positive for life and indicates past infection.

The viral load test is useful to follow when treating a patient so you can determine how fast the treatment is working. AFter treatment - the virus should be undetectable if the treatment worked.

So you need to determine which test was performed.

Previous
hcv genotype 1a ultrasound results
Next
HIV and Hepatitis

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.