Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hepatitis Testing and HIV
Feb 14, 2009

Dr. McGovern,

I received a hepatitis b antibody test ~19 weeks after a potentially risky encounter. The encounter was comprised of a shared sex toy. i was anally penetrated by a sex toy that was possibly used on someone else prior to it being used on me. IThe doctor only tested for 2 HBV antibodies he did not test for the antigen. He said the tests for both antibodies came up negative. Would this put me in the clear regarding Hepatitis B infection? he said that I should get vaccinated because both antibody tests came up negative. Is the result of my test affected because he did not test for the core antigen. is ~19 weeks long enough to take an antibody test for HBV? What about for HCV? I also tested negative for HIV. Should I go for anymore testing for any of these diseases?

Thanks.

Response from Dr. McGovern

Yes, I would also test for HCV and HIV to be certain those are negative. If you had acquired hepatitis B infection, by 19 weeks I would have expected your hepatitis B core to be positive...so since your surface antibody was also non-reactive, I would agree that you should have hepatitis B immunization.

Previous
Life span with Hep C
Next
nurse clarification please

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.