Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hep b lab results
Feb 14, 2009

tested neg for hep b (9) months after possible exposure (neg antibody) neg antigen) neg e-antigen) however + viral load count at 730. Dr. retested viral load count 2 weeks later undectable then re-tested it for a 3rd time undectable negative antigen, antibody, also does this mean that it was a lab error? the only problem is I am having symptons of hep b in the sense of pain under the right rib and aches and pains through out body. My alt/ast was at 180 but dropped to 30/30 I am seeing gastro doctor but im not satisfied. Please help

Response from Dr. McGovern

The rise in liver function tests - if related to hepatitis B - should be accompanied by significant viremia and a reactive surface antigen (HBsAg). Your level of viremia was extremely low and then non-detectable. If this was the tail end of infection that subsequently cleared, your anti-HBcore IgG should be positive by now. Make certain that has been done.

If this doesn't explain your clinical course, I would also be certain that you have had testing for other hepatitis viruses such as HAV and HCV.

Previous
Hepatitis
Next
can i resume unprotected sex?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.