Length of treatment for coinfected 36 y/o

Diagnosed with acute HCV (no genotype testing done) because of abnormal liver enzyme test results performed at a routine checkup. Otherwise HCV asymptomatic. Believed to have been infected with HCV 6-9 months before this positive HCV result.

Began pegysus/copegus (800mg) regimen shortly thereafter (within a year of infection). Negative HCV viral load after 12 weeks of treatment (first and only viral load test performed after beginning treatment). My doctor wants me to continue treatment for one year after this negative viral load result but said I can elect to stop treatment after the standard 48 weeks. He said the decision was solely up to me.

What is your opinion about my length of treatment? The doctor said that anecdotally there is some evidence that coinfected patients have a higher likelihood of a SVR if they continue treatment for one year after attaining negative viral load.

I have so far completed 36 weeks of treatment with minimal side effects.

Thank you for offering your input!

I agree that it would be reasonable to complete the 48 weeks to get the best outcome - also you are tolerating it so well...I suspect you will have an excellent result.

time frame for new hcv drugs
HCV transmission, Please help