HIV HEP C Coinfection

Hi Doctor.

I appreciate that you have had a number of queries on this topic recently but i would very much appreciate your views on my specific case.

I am a 39 y/o married male who had a one off incident of protected sex with a woman and unprotected oral sex (both her on me and me on her) 6 months and 2 weeks ago. I do not know the woman or do not have contact details for her.

After 9 weeks I started getting non-specific symptoms, fatigue, joint pains, frontal headaches etc which all lasted 3-4 weeks. Once they started (10 weeks after indicdent) I got tested for HIV (Antigens and Antibodies), Hep B (Antigens and Antibodies and Hep C antibodies and all other STDs all came back negative. At 3 months window I had all the same tests repeated and all where negative.

At around 14 weeks i started getting some new symptoms, red palms of my hands and soles of my feet particularly in the late afternoons / evenings, Dark yellow urine and a mild intermittent pain in my right upper quad of abdomen.

At 5 months i had further tests carried out - HIV (antigens and antibodies), Hep B (antigens and antibodies), Hep c Antibodies and a further HEP C PCR test. All came back negative.

On the 6 month anniversary (2 weeks ago) I had further tests carried out - HIV (antigens and antibodies), Hep B (antigens and antibodies), Hep c Antibodies and again all came back negative.

The Palms of my hands are getting slightly redder during the day and evening than before. So yesterday (6 months and 2 weeks after episode) I had 2 PCR tests carried out - one for HEP C and one for HIV (Proviral). My Physician believes that I do NOT have HIV or Hep B or Hep C and that these FINAL tests are purely to give me peace of mind.

I dont want to repeat what has been written about the very rare instance of delayed seroconversion of HIV due to Co-infection. But I am mindful that there is a very tiny percentage chance of this being the case for me, mainly due to my palms and soles of my feet becoming more and more red i.e. This could be a symptom of Hep C.

If my PCR tests come back as negative in the next few days, Do you then believe that i definitely DO NOT have HEP C or Hep B or HIV, or do you recommend further testing. I understand that my incident was very low risk and that the chances of me acquiring any of the above through oral sex only are very low, but I really do want to have closure on this whole scenario once and for all.

I have confessed all to my wife and she has recently been tesed for all 3 and has come back as negative.

I would really appreciate your views on this.

Regards

David

I would not have tested you by PCR because I am already confident that you do not have any of these infections.

Nothing else to say. Get some rest. I wish you peace of mind.

Co-Infection and Drop in CD4
Hepatits B Late Seroconversion