Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV HEP C Coinfection
Feb 5, 2009

Hi Doctor.

I appreciate that you have had a number of queries on this topic recently but i would very much appreciate your views on my specific case.

I am a 39 y/o married male who had a one off incident of protected sex with a woman and unprotected oral sex (both her on me and me on her) 6 months and 2 weeks ago. I do not know the woman or do not have contact details for her.

After 9 weeks I started getting non-specific symptoms, fatigue, joint pains, frontal headaches etc which all lasted 3-4 weeks. Once they started (10 weeks after indicdent) I got tested for HIV (Antigens and Antibodies), Hep B (Antigens and Antibodies and Hep C antibodies and all other STDs all came back negative. At 3 months window I had all the same tests repeated and all where negative.

At around 14 weeks i started getting some new symptoms, red palms of my hands and soles of my feet particularly in the late afternoons / evenings, Dark yellow urine and a mild intermittent pain in my right upper quad of abdomen.

At 5 months i had further tests carried out - HIV (antigens and antibodies), Hep B (antigens and antibodies), Hep c Antibodies and a further HEP C PCR test. All came back negative.

On the 6 month anniversary (2 weeks ago) I had further tests carried out - HIV (antigens and antibodies), Hep B (antigens and antibodies), Hep c Antibodies and again all came back negative.

The Palms of my hands are getting slightly redder during the day and evening than before. So yesterday (6 months and 2 weeks after episode) I had 2 PCR tests carried out - one for HEP C and one for HIV (Proviral). My Physician believes that I do NOT have HIV or Hep B or Hep C and that these FINAL tests are purely to give me peace of mind.

I dont want to repeat what has been written about the very rare instance of delayed seroconversion of HIV due to Co-infection. But I am mindful that there is a very tiny percentage chance of this being the case for me, mainly due to my palms and soles of my feet becoming more and more red i.e. This could be a symptom of Hep C.

If my PCR tests come back as negative in the next few days, Do you then believe that i definitely DO NOT have HEP C or Hep B or HIV, or do you recommend further testing. I understand that my incident was very low risk and that the chances of me acquiring any of the above through oral sex only are very low, but I really do want to have closure on this whole scenario once and for all.

I have confessed all to my wife and she has recently been tesed for all 3 and has come back as negative.

I would really appreciate your views on this.

Regards

David

Response from Dr. McGovern

I would not have tested you by PCR because I am already confident that you do not have any of these infections.

Nothing else to say. Get some rest. I wish you peace of mind.

Previous
Co-Infection and Drop in CD4
Next
Hepatits B Late Seroconversion

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.