Begining Stage or Chronic Stage?

hi dr mcgovern!this is Gokul from India writing a letter to u. hoping that you'll answer me. my doctor had me for a laboratory and took the SEROLOGY Test, results shows HBsAG(serum)[Elisa] result: 3.978. Ref. Range <0.14 OD Non Reactive, >0.14 OD Reacive.

Pls tell What this result Shows and also tell me whether its in a begining stage or chronic stage?

The HBs antigen is positive. This only tells me that you have chronic infection. It does not tell me whether it is active or inactive. You will need further testing such as HBV DNA, liver function tests, HBeAg, HBeAb...

A newly acquired infection would show as am anti-HBcore IgM reactive test. If you think you have just recently been infected this will be an important test to take. If your infection is chronic your anti-HBcore test will be IgG reactive.

The stage of disease is determined by a liver biopsy.

Hepatitis
Co-Infection and Drop in CD4