Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HepB test result confusion
Jan 25, 2009

I was hospitalized in 2005 for 8 days from a HepB infection. Have been tested now every 6 months for last few yrs. My readings have always been the same HBsAg screen (negative), Hep B core Ab, IgM (negative). Recently joined an online support group and their responses have been "You do not have Hep B" and "You never had Hep B", well I would love this to be true, its not, can u explain, do I need to revisit my Dr. ASAP for clarification and request other tests?

Response from Dr. McGovern

To know if you had past hepatitis B with clearance you need to check the following:

Hepatitis B core Ig G (note IgG - not IgM) Hepatitis B surface antibody

Both should be positive. The fact that your surface antigen is negative is good news. Most people who get symptoms with acute hepatitis B infection do clear the virus on their own.

The IgM will be negative now that your acute illness is over. This test should only be done in the setting of acute infection.

Previous
HIV positive, elevated liver enzymes
Next
newly dx

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.