Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please help,I have to make some very important decision!!
Jan 25, 2009

Hi Doctor, I have read many of your answers and find them to be very useful.Thank you very much.I really need to make some decision and really need advise from you. One of my cousin tell me that he is recently infected with HIV.He is very depress and want to commit suicide.Then I told him, I am HIV positive too and starting explain to him all the medical advance in this field.He feel a little better but still very depress and do have chance to commit suicide. He is just recently infected(heterosexual) for 4 months.He know when he is infected and who infect him. I am concern about HCV.I want him to test on the HCV as [u]I HAVE READ SOMEWHERE THAT IF YOU START THE HCV TREATMENT IN FIRST 6 MONTHs, THERE IS A HIGH % THAT THE VIRUS WILL BE CLEAR(CURE)[/u]. Is this right???

I am really very worry about him because he is very very depress and if he test HCV positive, it will increase his depress and he might kill himself.

So what should I do?? Should I tell him to take test immediately(better chance of Virus Clearance) or should I wait for sometime like 3-4 months and tell him when he feel better??? Thank you very much in advance for good advise.I hope that I will make the right decision.

Response from Dr. McGovern

Testing for hepatitis C is not the immediate issue of concern here. I would find out the local "help" assistance line - usually an 800 number (in the US) for immediate assistance and guidance for your cousin. Talking with him is also helpful and confiding in him as you are doing is important so this can help people through difficult times such as this. However, he made need immediate professional help. You can also call your local emergency room for advice about how to get help for your cousin as soon as possible.

Previous
HIV and Hepatitis B coinfection
Next
Interferon and HIV Infection

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.