Ribavirin dosing

Heptologist has me on 800 mg daily. My question is: Is it better to take 400 twice a day or take 200 every six hours? I'm the king of adherence so I won't miss doses. Since the whole purpose of Peg Interferon is to keep a non-peaking level of the drug in your bloodstream, wouldn't it be better to take the ribavirin in regular 200mg 6 hr. streams than in 2 400mg. streams twice a day....... or doesn't it matter? The Pegassist people couldn't answer me, neither could Dr. Also because the copegus/ribivirin is better absorbed w/ "fatty food", I always take it w/ meals or with cod liver oil, never just water. Are some foods better than others in helping the absorbtion? Is coffee OK? Thank you very much. You're a GODSEND to answer our questions. Best New Year wishes!!

I would take the ribavirin on a twice daily basis because it has a very long "half-life" and the drug will be in your system throughout the day. In matter of fact, the reason we don't give it as a once-daily dose is not because it wouldn't last in your bloodstream all day...It is related to the fact that your stomach can't absorb such a big dose all at once.

Thank you for highlighting for our readers that ribavirin should be taken with food for better absorption.

I am also happy to know that you find the website useful.

Happy New Year to you as well.

Milk Thistle
Diet Question