Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Ribavirin dosing
Jan 11, 2009

Heptologist has me on 800 mg daily. My question is: Is it better to take 400 twice a day or take 200 every six hours? I'm the king of adherence so I won't miss doses. Since the whole purpose of Peg Interferon is to keep a non-peaking level of the drug in your bloodstream, wouldn't it be better to take the ribavirin in regular 200mg 6 hr. streams than in 2 400mg. streams twice a day....... or doesn't it matter? The Pegassist people couldn't answer me, neither could Dr. Also because the copegus/ribivirin is better absorbed w/ "fatty food", I always take it w/ meals or with cod liver oil, never just water. Are some foods better than others in helping the absorbtion? Is coffee OK? Thank you very much. You're a GODSEND to answer our questions. Best New Year wishes!!

Response from Dr. McGovern

I would take the ribavirin on a twice daily basis because it has a very long "half-life" and the drug will be in your system throughout the day. In matter of fact, the reason we don't give it as a once-daily dose is not because it wouldn't last in your bloodstream all day...It is related to the fact that your stomach can't absorb such a big dose all at once.

Thank you for highlighting for our readers that ribavirin should be taken with food for better absorption.

I am also happy to know that you find the website useful.

Happy New Year to you as well.

Previous
Milk Thistle
Next
Diet Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.