Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Third Time Around
Jan 4, 2009

Hi Doctor,

My husband is coinfected, HIV and Hep C. His HIV is undetectable and he is now on his third treatment for Hep C. The first two times he was on Peg Intron and then Pegasus, (both times he went undetectable) but relapsed within 3 months. He is currently on Infergen 3X a week, about two months now. He just got good news (I think it's good news) from his doctor yesterday that the Hep C was undetectable. My question is, if he should relapse again, will the treatment he's on now buy him some time to try newer therapies coming down the pipeline? In other words, does it help his liver at all when he goes undetectable? Thank you for your time. Have a Happy & Healthy New Year.

Response from Dr. McGovern

That is good news. I am very happy to hear it.

Yes, I would think about this viral suppression as a "bridge" to better therapies. Everytime HCV is suppressed, it is usually associated with improvement in liver histology. If his virus should reappear when treatment is stopped, then we usually think the improvements in liver histology are not maintained. However, he will still be a great candidate for these new therapies - all of which have been tried with interferon and ribavirin as the backbone.

It is also important to keep taking HIV medications for HIV suppression. Several studies suggest that HIV suppression is beneficial to the liver as well. This may be related to suppression of certain harmful inflammatory cytokines (ie, hormones) that cause more inflammation in the liver.

Previous
niece has a aunt that has hepatitis c, she plays with my kids should i worry
Next
low blood platlets

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.