Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Lab results
Jan 4, 2009

DNA Viral load: 209 million ALT 61 AST 31 HBsAG (+) Hep B Core Ab, (-)

Since my liver enzymes are within normal levels, do I need medication? Do I need a biopsy? I read in some studies that doctors look at viral loads not just liver enzymes. Since my viral load is high but my liver enzymes are within normal ranges, do you recommend a biopsy?

I am a Vietnamese 27 years old person. I recently did a titer on my past immunizations and found that I have chronic HBV. What are my chances on fighting this virus? In other words, have you seen a patient with this high of viral load produce antibodies?

I am trying my best to be realistic, but I am trying to be hopeful as well.

Many thanks.

Response from Dr. McGovern

I recommend more testing since one blood test in time does not make a diagnosis of acute or chronic hepatitis B. I would recommend testing at six months to determine your status then, including E antigen. I assume your core antibody test is an IgM test that is negative.

If you continue to have mildly elevated enzymes with a high viral load I would consider a liver biopsy to determine your degree of liver disease, particularly if your e antigen is negative, since this would require long term chronic therapy.

Previous
blood doant i find HBV
Next
hope you are well

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.