Hiv and Hep C

I have been hiv and hep c positive for many years (16), and up to now I have only experienced rises in transaminasas levels with certain treatments. Shortly after leaving treatment they go down to around 43/61, 41/54, 33/36 ..., which I dont consider (neither has my doctor) is worth treating. Is is just a question of treatments being very strong that makes us more vulnerable against hep c.? Are we indeed more vulnerable than a hiv negative if treatment wasnt so agressive?. Thank you very much.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

This is a very important concept and it is very little understood. The liver tests you mention have NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING, to do with the health of your liver. If you want to know what is going on in your liver in order to make a determination about treatment, you need to have a liver biopsy! It is true that the side effects of interferon and ribavirin are difficult. That makes it even more important to make a rational decision about treatment. Don't be lulled into a false sense of security by watching those numbers! Good luck! DTD

Lifespan of HCV
0 stage fibrosis/what next? sit and wait?