HEP B Time to Resolve

Dear Dr.

I was hit with a bout of HepB in June and was out of work for 2 months. I returned to work in August but I am not sure I was totally through with the virus. I am concerned about being chronic. I had the recovery tests performed and am awaiting my results. Does the surface antibody always show up in 6 months or is this an arbitrary timeframe. Can it take longer to show like 7, 8 or 9 months. I am healthy otherwise no compromises to my immune system.

Please answer.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Hepatitis B usually (85% of the time) goes away by itself. The classic definition of chronic hepatitis B is HBSag + at 6 months after the acute infection. That is an artificial timepoint that can of course vary. If you wanted to wait a year, for instance before considering treatment, you would not be way out of order. Good luck! DTD

overload on liver
Worried about HIV/HCV co-infection