For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Zerit, Hep b &wasting

Can Hepatitis b contribute to, or exacerbate, weight loss due to HIV/AIDS, or due to the med Zerit and its capacity to cause diarrhea? Lost 30 pounds in two months, and I'm frightened. Eat all the time. Feel well, but at 6'3'and 149 lbs. and losing, I need answers quickly. Thanks

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Both hepatitis B and HIV can lead to diarrhea, as well as mitochondrial toxicity from the nucleosides. I would have my MD test for causes of diarrhea and check your serum lactate and consider mitochondrial toxicity. Be assertive with your therapy! Good luck. DTD

Lamivudine and pegalated interferon for Hep B
Syptoms, Swollen Node question