Lamivudine and pegalated interferon for Hep B

My doctor and I are considering putting me on pegylated interferon and Lamivudine to treat my chronic active/persistent Hep B of eleven years. I just found out this year that I've developed HBeAb. I'm still HBeAg + and my viral load is finally detected. We're aware that pegalated interferon is approved for Hep C only. I would appreciate very much your comment or reference as to where I can find any information (if any now) about whether or not Hep B can be treated with these two drugs and at what dosage of the peg interferon.

Thanks.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

There is no data yet on that combination for hepatitis B, but it is being studied. The dose of peg interferon alfa 2b is 1.5 mcg/kg just like hep C. It depends on how much HBV DNA you have and what your liver biopsy looks like before I would treat. However in general I think that the combination will be superior to lamivudine monotherapy. Good luck!

Hep C Symptoms
Zerit, Hep b &wasting