Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Truvada & HepB (not HIV+)
Dec 21, 2008

I have cirrosis of the liver due to chronic HepB but am not HIV positive. Recently I was put on Truvada to treat the HepB but all the sources I have found including Truvada's manufacturer's website state it is not approved for HepB in solation but is recommended if treating both HIV & HepB together. Is this thinking out of date and is Truvada now considered suitable for HepB infection only in some circumstances? I was previously on a combination of Lamivudine & Adefevoir Deprovil but one raised blood test showed a raised level of something(presumably viral count) so I was switched prior to a 2nd blood test which actually showed levels had returned to normal prior to starting on Truvada. I wonder if I'm only continuing on Truvada because of the risk of a flare-up if I now come off it. Hope you can give me some help with this one as there seems to be very little info on Truvada being used only for HepB rather than with HIV & HepB.

Response from Dr. McGovern

This is an interesting question. I agree that the information on combination therapy for patients with HBV infection is limited.

Truvada contains two active HBV agents - emtricitabine and tenofovir. Your physician may have wanted to treat you with two drugs simultaneously if you had a very high viral load to start. He or she may have been concerned that you might develop drug resistance if only one drug was used. This has certainly been described in several papers to date.

I think your physician is very advanced in their thinking about this complex problem and you are in good hands. Continue to monitor your viral load to see how you are doing. Ask questions and know your HBV DNA levels - be your own best advocate.

Previous
Is my son protected by vaccine
Next
Hope You Will Answer This Time - Need Help Understanding MY Hep B Labs

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.