Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Seroconverted at 4th month since i was infected with HBV
Dec 21, 2008

Doctor,

Here are my latest Laboratory results:

HBeAG--> NEGATIVE HBeAB--> POSITIVE SGPT --> 37 IU/ml, from 805 last month.

I believed that i had seroconverted last two weeks ago for i suffered from repeated burfing, inflame eyelid for noth eyes with fever. Im at my 4th month since my HbsAG became Reactive and at 3rd month when i had 30 days entecavir intake.

With these results, what is the next step to a patient like me?

Are HbeAG negative and HbeAB positive forever? Meaning no reoccurence of being contagious or replication of virus.

==================== should i continue my medication? Dec 7, 2008

I hav elevated ALT from 21(juL), 39(aug) to 47(sept) prior I took entecavir tablet. After a month(oct 2008) of using , my ALT goes to 795. When I stopped taking the tablet for some financial reason in couple of weeks, My alt decreased to 160. What is that mean? Treatment shall be continue or liver biopsy should be considered?

if I were in seroconversion state of chronic Hepatitis B, do I need to stop my medication and never continue the 2nd month? Kindly advice me because its my 4th month since my HBsAg and HBeAg became positive, HBV DNA 58 million copies.

any insight is deeply appreciated ==========================================

Dr, McGovern Response

Since treatment is expensive, I would want to know if you may actually seroconvert on your own. Would check your laboratories again to see if your infection is changing.

Response from Dr. McGovern

Your HBeantibody positive status is encouraging. It is possible that you have seroconverted. I would recommend HBV DNA testing by your provider to see if your virus has also cleared.

If so, and your HBsAg is still positive, then you would be an "inactive carrier" and would need follow-up every 3 to 6 months to determine that you stay inactive. As for treatment - it seems that you have already discontinued and maybe this will be okay. I usually treat for six months after seroconversion for chronic hepatitis B therapy.

You will also need to discuss with your physician if it is clear that you have had long-standing chronic infection or recently acquired infection. Acute hepatitis B usually clears in adults on its own without treatment.

Previous
I might have HIV
Next
Can HEPC show up in routine liver function tests for pregnancy?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.