Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

coinfection and pregnancy
Dec 21, 2008

i was infected with hep c eight yrs ago with my son, i am pregnant now and feel that five yrs ago i put myself at terrible risk for hiv, i want this baby i saw the ulttrasound and everything , but i have to get hiv testing and i know that the risks are so much higher, the last test i had on my hep c said undetectable, but i dont know if i can handle this i am reallly going crazy,i cry all the time that i put this baby, and my boyfriend at risk for hiv as well, i dont want to abort it either but a life with either one of these diseases i dont know what to do ash

Response from Dr. McGovern

There are two major issues to discuss: 1. Hepatitis C: If your hepatitis C virus was undetectable in the past, there is a strong possibility that this is still the case. I urge testing so you know for sure. If you do have virus in your blood, the chance of passing it to your baby is very low. Furthermore, even if your baby becomes infected, children can often clear the virus on their own.

2. HIV: I would urge you to get testing so all appropriate measures can be taken to prevent transmission to your baby and to begin effective treatment in you. Therapy for HIV - given during pregnancy - is extremely effective.

Please follow my advice for your heath and the future health of your baby.

Previous
finger pricked by HCV patient needle
Next
hiv and failed hcv treatment

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.