Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hemophiliac coinfected, w/hepc,aids,and PML
Nov 22, 2008

My husband is a hemophiliac diagnosed in 1989 with hep.c and hiv...he contracted PML 24 months ago and began Haart therapy. He has cognitive and speech deficits now, and at his last appointment, we were told that his liver enzymes are up. Now he is complaining of moderate pain under his ribson the right side, and has lost 6 pounds, but his doctor has not recommended any tests or treatment...I am his only caregiver, and need to know what i need to be watching for concerning his hep c...please help?

Response from Dr. McGovern

I would get an ultrasound of his liver and follow his liver enzymes carefully, especially if he is having right upper quadrant pain. I would also get an alfa feto protein (AFP) and tests of his liver's synthetic function, such as albumin and prothrombin.

Hopefully his HIV medications will lead to improvement in his PML (progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy) over time. As you probably know, this is a serious diagnosis. You will want to discuss his overall prognosis with his physician. However, I still think the ultrasound and AFP is important.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Previous
hepatitis
Next
When an Acute hepa B patient's anti HBc IgM becomes POSITIVE??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.