Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Risk of liver biopsy as routine test
Nov 9, 2008

Dr McGovern,

I have a question regarding liver biopsy. My understanding is that liver biopsy is by far the most accurate tool to determine whether an HCV or HBV chronic infection is progressive. Unfortunately, some patients do lose their lives to this risky procedure.

I am wondering what is the chance that blood tests and radiology fail to reveal progressive disease (which will eventually lead to cirrhosis and cancer). How does this risk compare to the chance to dying from biopsy?

I am assuming that doctors don't recommend liver biopsy lightly because liver biopsy is more dangerous than HBV or HCV themselves, given normal blood tests and medical imaging results?

Thanks

Response from Dr. McGovern

Liver biopsy can be associated with a complication, but the risk is extremely low. The risk of dying is estimated about a tenth of one per cent...

Yes it is extremely helpful to have a biopsy to guide management since you can see not just scarring but also inflammation and the degree of fatty infiltration and other unsuspected diseases as well.

If you are extremely anxious, you can discuss a blood test marker for fibrosis only. These markers perform well in the extremes of disease - very advanced and very mild fibrosis. They do not perform as well in the "in between" spectrum.

Radiology is only helpful if the patient already has cirrhosis and varices - a complication of advanced disease. It can also tell if you have liver fat - but not if you have "steatohepatitis" which is much more concerning than "bland" fat.

Hope this is helpful.

Previous
hepatitis c
Next
reply pls worried

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.