|ALT a poor indicator of active liver inflammation?
Oct 25, 2008
I have a question about the correlation of ALT and the degree of liver inflammation. I read that such correlation is quite weak. An ALT level of say 300 IU versus 100 IU might actually reflect the same level of inflammation activity in the same person. Worse, some HCV patients have normal liver enzymes while their livers undergoes significant damage. Many of those patients don't even have cirrhosis yet!
I thought ALT, by itself, does not say much about the overall conditions of one's liver. It only reflect the level of inflammation at a specfic point in time. But some articles are proposing that degree of ALT elevation correlate weakly with inflammation level (with or without cirrhosis).
So my question is this:
For mono-infection, and excluding any other causes of liver injuries,
Does HBV-DNA level give a decent estimate on inflammation (at the time the sample was taken)
Does HCV-RNA level provides somewhat accurate information on the inflammation level?
Any insight is deeply appreciated.
| Response from Dr. McGovern
1. ALT is a good indicator IN GENERAL of liver inflammation. Many studies do show a correlation. HOWEVER...having a normal ALT does not assure a patient that they do not have liver inflammation. You are absolutely correct in pointing out that a patient can even have cirrhosis and have normal ALT.
2. In hepatitis B, the level of ALT is often used to help determine if treatment should be considered or if a liver biopsy should be considered. Patients with an elevated ALT often respond to treatment better than someone with a normal ALT.
3. In HCV, the HCV RNA (virus) does not tell you anything about the degree of inflammation.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Can Acute Human Immunodeficiency Virus Infection Cause Liver Inflammation?
- Can Acute Retrovirus Infection Cause Liver Inflammation?
- Symptoms Of Poor Liver Function And Aids Patients
- Will My HIV Medication Work When Using A PEG Feed?
- Broken Condom Hiv Insertive Vagina
- Positive Male With Negative Female
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.