Atripla for Treating Chronic Hep B/New lyHIV +

I just became HIV positive. One of the good thigs about learning that I'm HIV positive it that my dr. discovered I have chronic (HBeag positive)hepatitis B. I have moderate to severe liver damange. He has started me on Atripla. Do you agree that useing atripla exclusively is the best way to go about treating both infections.

I agree that it is fortunate that you have learned that you have moderate to severe Hepatitis B.

I agree with your doctor that treatment with Atripla is a good idea. Atripla includes three medications, two of which have great activity against hepatitis B (eg, emtricitabine and tenofovir). You should do extremely well on these medications.

I also recommend: 1. Immunization against hepatitis A if you are not immune 2. Careful follow-up of your liver function tests during the first six months of therapy. Sometimes a liver "flare" can occur when your immune system becomes stronger on HIV medications. Also you will need careful follow-up of your HBV DNA, E antigen. 3. Call your doctor if you develop right upper quadrant pain, nausea, severe fatigue or jaundice.. 4. You should have serial ultrasounds and alfa feto protein measurements to follow up on your liver health every six months.

Best of health to you (and your liver!)

pregnant with hiv
Hep -c, rapid weight loss