i tested false positive now what?

Hello doctor Barbara.. maybe you can help me.. I will make this quick.. I tested Postive on a ora-quick advance hiv 1/2 test at the local clinic.. they ran a second test on the spot using blood (instead of oral swab) and it came back negative.. they had me come back for a standard "elisa for hiv 1/2" in 6 months that was also negative.. My question is.. could hepatitis have caused this false positive.. i feel healthy and am trying to figure out what could have caused this.. i am also worried because I had unprotected sex with a girl from botswana africa and am worried about any other strains besides hiv1/2 that may come from the region.. any advice? Should i test for Hep? Thanks for all you do..Very Afraid in georgia..

False positive tests can occur on HIV testing - that is why the ora quick MUST be confirmed. It has nothing to do with you. It is just a limitation of the test.

I doubt that hepatitis caused your false positive test. However, you should ask your doctor if you need immunization from hepatitis B, which you can acquire through unprotected sex. Hepatitis C can also be acquired through sex, but is less likely - and there is no vaccine.

In the future, make "safe sex" your way in life. Then you will not have to go through this anxiety.

HIV and Hep C coinfection
not active hepa..