Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

i tested false positive now what?
Oct 13, 2008

Hello doctor Barbara.. maybe you can help me.. I will make this quick.. I tested Postive on a ora-quick advance hiv 1/2 test at the local clinic.. they ran a second test on the spot using blood (instead of oral swab) and it came back negative.. they had me come back for a standard "elisa for hiv 1/2" in 6 months that was also negative.. My question is.. could hepatitis have caused this false positive.. i feel healthy and am trying to figure out what could have caused this.. i am also worried because I had unprotected sex with a girl from botswana africa and am worried about any other strains besides hiv1/2 that may come from the region.. any advice? Should i test for Hep? Thanks for all you do..Very Afraid in georgia..

Response from Dr. McGovern

False positive tests can occur on HIV testing - that is why the ora quick MUST be confirmed. It has nothing to do with you. It is just a limitation of the test.

I doubt that hepatitis caused your false positive test. However, you should ask your doctor if you need immunization from hepatitis B, which you can acquire through unprotected sex. Hepatitis C can also be acquired through sex, but is less likely - and there is no vaccine.

In the future, make "safe sex" your way in life. Then you will not have to go through this anxiety.

Previous
HIV and Hep C coinfection
Next
not active hepa..

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.