Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hep c
Oct 13, 2008

I run a support group for inmates and one individual was wondering What is the deal with the viral load concerning hep C? whats good and bad? with Hiv T-CELL COUNT BELOW 200 IS aIDS IS THEIR AN EQUVALENT DANGER ZONE FOR HEP C PATIENTS. wHAT NUMBERS SHOULD HE BE CONCERNED WITH, ALSO WITH HIS LIMITED ACCESS TO ANYTHING SHOULD HE BE ON A CERTAIN DIET OR EXERCISE PLAN?

Response from Dr. McGovern

Excellent question. There is no good correlate of CD4 cells and fibrosis in Hepatitis C. For example, the height of the virus does not tell you anything about the severity of disease.

There are some non-invasive blood markers for fibrosis. These markers are best to identify persons with minimal disease and those with advanced disease, but they are not as good in identifying people in between.

I often will order a liver biopsy to determine the degree of disease in patients with genotype 1 infection, which is a bit less responsive to treatment. However, in patients with genotypes 2 or 3, which are easier to treat, I simply treat if the patient is interested in trying therapy. After 4 to 12 weeks of viral load monitoring, I will have a good idea if the treatment is going to work or not. If not, I stop the therapy. If the patient is responding very well, all the more reason to complete the course, which is only six months max.

Hope this is helpful.

Previous
i had hep c now i don't
Next
HEP AND HIV transmission?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.