Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

occult hepatitis c
Oct 13, 2008

I am a health care worker.I had what I think was acute hepatitis c .But I am not sure how this exposure happend. my GI told me I was a chronic carrier but my enzymes, and antidody have always been negative before this event I check them once a year do to my work. they were always negative.During this event my enzymes shot up to the over 1600 and my antibody converted my genotype was 1b.I was treated for one year and responed well.It has been now one year after treatment and I am still PCR negative by tagman no vial load.My question is I have read a study from spain that you could have hepatitis c with normal antibodys and negative blood pcr but they have found viral RNA in liver biopsy and blood peripheral blood mononuclear(PBMC) cells the studys said the after treatment that most patient who responded to tratment still had RNA in liver cells and in PBMC .Is this true and if so do I need to have a pcr by PBMC or liver biopsy to make sure I have really cleared this virus?Thank you for your help.

Response from Dr. McGovern

Yes you are correct that in the research laboratory HCV proteins can still be found in the liver after successful treatment. However, this is simply a research study and there is no information that tells us that this "occult" hepatitis C is important clinically.

Your response to treatment has been excellent. Several studies, including one just published, show that successful treatment leads to better liver health over time. There are many more studies suggesting that viral clearance from the bloodstream is the important marker to follow. No further testing is required.

Previous
hepa b
Next
pls interpret ..

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.