HB DNA test results
Oct 9, 2008
Hi Dr, I had HB 20 years ago. this April, my test on HB DNA ultraquant was 20,000 copies/ml, and in Oct. it is 110,000copies/ml. I am very uncomfortable with worse result. I wonder:
1. How bad is the results; 2. Do I need immediate treatment, if so, what medicine would you recommend; 3. Any suggestions?
Thanks a lot, really appreciate your time.
Response from Dr. McGovern
Thanks for your question. I would certainly understand your concerns about the rising HBV DNA levels.
It will be important to follow your liver function tests at this time to see if they are also becoming very abnormal. If so, treatment may be very effective.
Decisions about treatment may also take into account the degree of liver disease you may have on liver biopsy.
Some of these decisions are also influenced by whether or not you have HBeAg positive or HBeAg negative infection.
Finally, if you are taking steroids for asthma for example, steroids can make HBV viremia go higher.
Over time you will also need liver monitoring with an ultrasound and blood testing called AFP about every six to 12 months.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Would My Boyfriend Get Chlamydia If I Didn't Tell Him The First Time
- What Does High Risk Hpv Mean?
- What Does Herpes Simplex Type 1 Mean?
- What Does An Infected Eye With Chlamydia Looks Like?
- What Do Shingles On The Body Look Like?
- Took Antibiotics As Prescribed For Chlamydia And Still Have Symptoms
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.