SVR and moderate drinking

Hello doctor, I have had hepatitis C, (genotype 3a), treatment and I managed to achieve a SVR six months after the end of the treatment. My questions is, is it ok to have occasionally a light drink like a beer? Is there a possibility that it can cause the virus to return? Thank you for you help.

An occasional light drink would most likely be safe. Alcohol in large amounts does suppress the immune system so I would certainly keep any ingestion to a minimum.

I would also discuss this issue with your doctor since if you have bridging fibrosis or cirrhosis, your physician may not want you to drink at all until more time has passed for your liver to improve. With a sustained virologic response, the hope is that your liver will continue to become more healthy over time and regenerate.

Congrats on your great outcome.

A worried doctor
HEP BS AB results