Sep 30, 2008
How can I increase my platlets to start peg interferon? I currently am stage 3=4 with a platlet count of 85,000. The Va stated that Peg will eat up platlets and they may stop treatment. Can one get a platlet transfusion? A friend will donate.
Response from Dr. McGovern
It is true that low platelets can limit the ability to continue therapy for hepatitis C infection due to the effect of PEG. There is a drug called elthrombopag, which was shown recently to be effective in increasing platelet counts. It is now undergoing review and will hopefully be available in the future.
Hep C and supressed Immune System
A worried doctor
- Should I Get Tested After Unprotected Oral Sex Without Ejaculation?
- Are Swollen Lymph Nodes A Sign Of HIV?
- Chills After Mutual Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- Diarrhea After Oral Sex Hooker What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Herpes After Licking Genital Worried I Have HIV
- Painful Red Spots After Drinking Water Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.