I am HIV+ now for at least 5 years now. I have been diagnosed with HEP B at the same time. The Hep went into remission soon after. It is now back (chronic) and my viral load is now detectable. I am seeing a specialist "GI" doctor. He tells me that he doesn't think I should worry about my HEP B right now. (my liver enzymes aren't high enough)

My question is: Do you think it is wise to consider the HEP B treatment even though the liver enzymes aren't high enough? (I've been on 3TC for about 4 years now)

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

Immunosupresed patients usually do not respond to interferon treatment for chronic Hep.B.The progression to advanced liver disease in HBV require a competent immune system, that is not present in HIV.Fortunately, this disease is more benign in HIV,and we dont reccomend treatment .The opposite is true for HCV ,that is more severe in HIV.The mechanism of cellular inmmunity in B vs.humoral in C ,may explain the differences. .

Hep c