Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV OR HEPC RISK?
Sep 14, 2008

Hi there,

I feel very silly asking this, I do have an irrational fear of catching diseases through blood but i am worried about something. One of my flatmates leaked period blood onto our bathroom rug! not nice! i was having a bath after her and have a feeling i stepped in it before getting into the bath before i realised it was there. it was fresh. the thing that worries me is that i had a blister on my foot, quite bad open wound, and something she said once scared me. she said that she lived in Africa and got really ill when she was there, she also had a boyfreind from zimbabwe. i know this doesnt mean anything, but the way my brain works i started thinking what if she caught HIV in Africa! i know there is a risk of catching it there too. and doesnt know she has it. She drank alot, and so i didnt feel i could trust her.

what i am really asking is does HIV or HEPC survive in warm or hot bath water easily? do you think i should get myself tested from this situation or am i being ridiculous!?

sorry for the silly questions but i dont know who else to ask!

thanks

Response from Dr. McGovern

A blister is due to a split between the outer most layers of the skin. If there was no visible blood from your blister, then I doubt there would have been a route for any other person's blood to mix with yours. I would not consider this a risky event.

Previous
HOPE AT LAST?
Next
vaccine

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.