HBV AND HIV COINFECTION

I have been extremely worried how long people live with hiv/hbv coinfection. I've been doing some reading and some sites say 5 or 6 years. Others say 10 years and some people say they have had it for 12 and 14 or so years. I have read also that the some meds after 5 years have resistance. So what happens after that? Will you please explain hiv/hbv coinfectin better to me and what i have to look forward too. What is the longest you know of someone living with both of these? What meds are best to start out with? If there is resistance will to lamivudine what happens after that? Please help my concern!!

No one can say "how long" because I think we are just beginning to treat HBV in HIV infected patients the "right way" - with combination therapy. With two drugs active against HBV, patients are doing better in terms of suppressing virus and delaying the onset of drug resistance.

I feel very hopeful about the future for patients with HIV/HBV infection and treatment promises to decrease disease progression. The new HIV treatment guidelines recommend treating patients with HBV infection with antiretroviral medications that target both viruses.

about so much difference in cutoff values of Hepatitis C
help MS ANN