For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Light at the end?

My husband is coinfected (HIV undetectable) He just started treatment with Infergen and Ribavirin (His third time on treatment, the others were Peg-Intron & Pegasus) What can he do to relieve some of the side effects, such as fever? Also, will these side effects last throughout treatment, each time he does a shot three times a week, will they hopefully get better? Please, if there's any light at the end of the tunnel, please let us know. Thank you.

If he just started therapy, there is certainly a very good chance that the fevers will disappear over the next few weeks. He can try taking some Motrin around the time of the injection to see if this cuts down on the amount of discomfort he is having. I would consider dosing this during the first 24 hours after the next injection to see if this helps.

If fevers continue, he will want to discuss this with his provider to be certain that there is no other reason for the fevers.

I do hope that this time he will respond. Newer drugs are on the horizon and hopefully will be available in a few years.

diet during hepatitis A
Nail clippers and HCV