For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

I started atripla Feb 1 after 2 mos my liver enzymes were normal however 3 mos later the enzymes were 3x the normal amount - I am now on a regime of truvada, norvir, and reytaz and the enzymes are still elevated - what do you feel is causing this situation. I go for a liver ultrasound this weel - Im getting very worried- HELP :)

I have had patients who develop ALT approximately 3x normal and then over time the enzymes improve. I always check for hepatitis A, B, and C to be certain that there is no other explanation for this finding. If you have chronic viral hepatitis, I would pursue an evaluation for this (eg, liver biopsy).

Mild elevations of ALT without symptoms (eg, right upper quadrant pain, nausea, vomiting, jaundice) would only prompt me to follow the patient serially over time. I would not necessarily stop medications.

hep c risk in healthcare worker
Kindly interpret please!