Inconsistent Hep C Test Results(help!)

I have been in a safe/monogomous relationship since July 2007 but before that I had an exposure which was risky. Six months later, in Jan of 2007, my Hep C antibody test came back reactive. My doctor did a RNA PRC test that same month and it came back undetectable. In April of 2008, I had another Hep C antibody test and it came back non-reactive. Cool, the first one was a false positive, right? Well, now a week ago (August 2008), ANOTHER antibody test came back reactive. My doctor has order more tests but I am really upset. Any thoughts on this? Please help!

Yes - you need to have a RIBA test - this test is more specific than other tests for HCV infection.

If this test is positive, then you were infected in the past. However, if your RNA test is negative, this is still good news since you cleared the infection.

If the RIBA is negative, yes the other tests were a false positive and I would not worry about this anymore.

Hope this is helpful to you and other readers.

Super Infection
coinfection possible?