Aug 8, 2008
I have been taking weekly shots of Interferon for approx. 5 months and have just learned that they are having no effect on my Hep C. I also have cirrhosis of the liver and the shots have at least stopped any furter liver deterioration. Are there any other drug options to treat the Hep C?
Response from Dr. McGovern
I would also want to know that you are taking pegylated interferon with ribavirin since standard interferon alone is very ineffective. If you are not taking combination therapy, you will want to seek further advice regarding your care.
New drugs are in development, but I suspect it will be a few more years before we can prescribe them.
- Can You Get Hiv If A Hiv Positive Blood Touches Your Food?
- Does Hiv Stay Alive In Dried Blood?
- In The Earliest Stage Of Hiv Infection Can Symptoms May Be Mistaken For The Flu
- When You Get Hiv When Do The Flu-like Symptoms Happen?
- Can The Hiv Virus Survive In Water?
- Are Early Flu-like Symptoms Of Hiv Contagious?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.