HIV/HCV coinfection from sex
Jul 14, 2008
Hello doctor. Over 7 months ago I had condom protected sex with a sex worker of unknown HCV / HIV status who seemed to have been mentruating (not sure). A few days ago I got tested for both HIV and HCV (anti-body tests) and they were both negative. Can I accept these results as conclusive? You have said in the past that coinfection can delay the window period for both. Do you recommend that I get tested again? Thanks very much!
Response from Dr. McGovern
Testing at six months is adequate. The only reason to test further out for HIV would have been if you had contracted acute HCV infection - which you did not...
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Burning Penis After Touching Anus Worried I Have HIV
- Coated Tongue After Topping Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Painful Red Spots After Getting A Tattoo Worried I Have HIV
- Rectal Bleeding After Lap Dance Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling Lips After Kissing Cut On Lip Worried I Have HIV
- Vomiting After Vaginal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.