Would you recommend further testing in this situation? Please some help!!!!

Thank you Dr. McGovern for all of the wonderful work you do on this website. You have truly earned the respect of everyone on this forum!

I really trust your professional opinion, and I was hoping you could give some insight into my test results.

After a potential exposure I took an antibody test at the 3 month mark. My antibody test came back negative!

Just to play it safe I took another test at 6 months and I received my test results today. Instead of an antibody test my doctor ordered an HCV Quantasure Plus (Serial)...(There had been some discussion between us about PCR testing, so I guess he ordered it.

My Quantasure Plus result was <10 IU/mL. Now under that it said that <10 indicates either complete absence of HCV RNA or in rare cases a low amount of HCV RNA.

Then it said: HCV log 10: Unable to calculate result since non-numeric result obtained for component test.

1)Is my testing at 6 months complete? Should I return for another test?

2)Is this Quantasure Plus test just as good as an antibody? And for my state of mind can you explain why this test is a good indicator.

3)And lastly, why has the FDA not approved PCR testing? Is that a bad thing?

Thank you so so much!

Thank you for your kind words...

These are all good questions for the forum:

1. Your testing is certainly complete. This would have been true no matter if you got testing for the virus (the PCR test) or if you got testing for antibody (ELISA).

2. The PCR test for virus can actually detect virus in the bloodstream even earlier than antibody tests turn positive.

3. However, the PCR test is more expensive so is not usually used for screening.

Hepatitis c risk
I want to donate blood!!!