|Would you recommend further testing in this situation? Please some help!!!!
Jul 14, 2008
Thank you Dr. McGovern for all of the wonderful work you do on this website. You have truly earned the respect of everyone on this forum!
I really trust your professional opinion, and I was hoping you could give some insight into my test results.
After a potential exposure I took an antibody test at the 3 month mark. My antibody test came back negative!
Just to play it safe I took another test at 6 months and I received my test results today. Instead of an antibody test my doctor ordered an HCV Quantasure Plus (Serial)...(There had been some discussion between us about PCR testing, so I guess he ordered it.
My Quantasure Plus result was <10 IU/mL. Now under that it said that <10 indicates either complete absence of HCV RNA or in rare cases a low amount of HCV RNA.
Then it said: HCV log 10: Unable to calculate result since non-numeric result obtained for component test.
1)Is my testing at 6 months complete? Should I return for another test?
2)Is this Quantasure Plus test just as good as an antibody? And for my state of mind can you explain why this test is a good indicator.
3)And lastly, why has the FDA not approved PCR testing? Is that a bad thing?
Thank you so so much!
| Response from Dr. McGovern
Thank you for your kind words...
These are all good questions for the forum:
1. Your testing is certainly complete. This would have been true no matter if you got testing for the virus (the PCR test) or if you got testing for antibody (ELISA).
2. The PCR test for virus can actually detect virus in the bloodstream even earlier than antibody tests turn positive.
3. However, the PCR test is more expensive so is not usually used for screening.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- White Tongue Worried It Could Be Ars
- Fever After Unprotected Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Scrotum After Condom Inside Out Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Jock Itch After Anal Sex Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Testicular Pain After Open Mouth Kissing Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling In Feet After Blowjob Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.