Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hepatitis B and Fatty liver
Jul 8, 2008

I'm a 38-year-old man. In 2006, I was diagnosed with Hepabitis B and Fatty liver. My test results were as follows:

01/2006 ------- HBsAg: Positive AST (SGOT): 39 reference [<40 U/L] ALT (SGPT): 68 reference [<60 U/L] AFP: 2.45 reference [<10 ng/mL] HBeAg: Negative HBeAb: Positive Hep B PCR Quant: <60 iu/ml (< 1.8 Log 10) reference: 60 to 38,000 iu/ml (1.8 to 4.6 Log 10)

Ultrasound(impression): Very dense and fatty liver without focal mass. Folded gallbladder versus small gallbladder polyp.

08/2006 ------- AST (SGOT): 19 reference [3-50 U/L] ALT (SGPT): 18 reference [3-60 U/L] AFP: 1.6 reference [<6.0 ng/mL] Hep B Viral DNA QT: <100 iu/ml reference: <100 iu/ml Hep B Viral DNA QT: <160 copies/ml reference: <160 iu/ml

Ultrasound(impression): Fatty liver without focal mass. Right liver lobe calcification. Gallbladder adenomyomatosis.

03/2007 ------- AST (SGOT): 20 reference [10-40 U/L] ALT (SGPT): 17 reference [9-60 U/L] AFP: 1.6 reference [<6.1 ng/mL] Hep B Viral DNA QT: 163 iu/ml reference: <100 iu/ml Hep B Viral DNA QT: 266 copies/ml reference: <160 iu/ml

08/2007 ------- HBeAg: Negative HBeAb: Positive Hep B PCR Quant: 110 iu/ml (2.0 Log 10) reference: 60 to 38,000 iu/ml (1.8 to 4.6 Log 10)

Ultrasound(impression): Diffusely coarse, echogenic, and heterogeneous liver echotexture most compatible with fatty infiltration or other causes of diffuse hepatocellular disease. No focal liver mass is identified. 3 mm gallbladder polyp without gallstones or biliary duct dilation.

05/2008 ------- AST (SGOT): 23 reference [<40 U/L] ALT (SGPT): 20 reference [<60 U/L] AFP: <2 reference [<10 ng/mL] Hep B PCR Quant: 3,400 iu/ml (3.5 Log 10) reference: 60 to 38,000 iu/ml (1.8 to 4.6 Log 10)

Please explain the HBV carrier status and give me advice on what I should do next. My primary doctor says there is no need for treatment yet.

Thank you.

Response from Dr. McGovern

I personally think you should consider a liver biopsy. Hepatitis B is NOT associated with fatty liver although hepatitis C is.

If you have evidence of high triglycerides, mild high blood pressure, high insulin levels or high cholesterol, you have some of the findings associated with metabolic syndrome. This is a collection of findings that is associated with fatty liver - or non-alcoholic steatohepatitis. Liver function tests are usually normal in these patients. A liver biopsy would help sort out if you have significant disease.

Previous
hepitis c
Next
Please test Panel Results

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.