Shelter Exposure

Hi Doctor,

I used to work at a women's shelter and prior to knowing a woman with a auto-immune defficiency (which causes her to have open/seeping wounds) who was also hep c positive I moved some of her things to her room. It was brought to my attention later on that there was dried blood on some of the objects in the basket I moved. I did not notice any blood on my hands but I did have a few hangnails. I washed my hands immediatly after I found out.

I went and spoke to a doctor at a clinic right after and she told me I had bascially zero risk. It still bothered me so I got tested for anti-hcv after 2 weeks and again after 9 1/2 weeks. It has now been 15 weeks, should I get tested again? It is becoming a phobia and it is causing me to be reclusive.

I agree with the first doctor that there was no need to test in the first place.

Since you are feeling anxiety, you should be sure that your other vaccines are upto date such as hepatitis B vaccine.

If you feel that you are also becoming reclusive, I would share these feelings with your personal physician soon.

hepatitis
Acute or Chronic HBV