Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HEP C RISKS
Jun 22, 2008

My mum has Hep C through needle use when she was young, she has had it since before i was born, I was tested negative for it, although i have developed a fear of catching in most situations. I am worried that my ex boyfreind might have Hep C, as he was badly beaten up, i would have thought there would be a risk here, if there was blood contact with both men, and we had lots of sex without condoms, where blood contact could have happend, ie menstruation and he has eczema on his hands that somtimes had little cuts on them. Ive been to the clinic and have asked for a Hep C test but they just wont do it, as they say its a very low risk. I'm trying to forget about it, but it does bother me, especially as my ex hasnt been tested. Do you think there is a risk?

Many thanks

Response from Dr. McGovern

It sounds like low risk, but my philosophy is to test to err on being cautious. For HCV this is reasonable, since a positive test can be easily confirmed with subsequent testing to be certain the test is a true positive. I would feel that testing in you is reasonable - not because of the story you have told me, but just that this is causing you anxiety.

Previous
HCV positive
Next
AFP

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.