HEP C RISKS

My mum has Hep C through needle use when she was young, she has had it since before i was born, I was tested negative for it, although i have developed a fear of catching in most situations. I am worried that my ex boyfreind might have Hep C, as he was badly beaten up, i would have thought there would be a risk here, if there was blood contact with both men, and we had lots of sex without condoms, where blood contact could have happend, ie menstruation and he has eczema on his hands that somtimes had little cuts on them. Ive been to the clinic and have asked for a Hep C test but they just wont do it, as they say its a very low risk. I'm trying to forget about it, but it does bother me, especially as my ex hasnt been tested. Do you think there is a risk?

Many thanks

It sounds like low risk, but my philosophy is to test to err on being cautious. For HCV this is reasonable, since a positive test can be easily confirmed with subsequent testing to be certain the test is a true positive. I would feel that testing in you is reasonable - not because of the story you have told me, but just that this is causing you anxiety.

HCV positive
AFP