CAN YOU EXPLAIN AN ANSWER????FOR ALL READERS OF THE FORUM!!!!

Dr, McGovern, First off I would like to thank you because the work you do here is really noble, and kind. I was hoping you could explain a question that has been asked numerous times on this site. Can Hepatitis C delay HIV Seroconversion?

Now I know you have addressed this numerous times, but after reading many of your responses there is some confusion. In many instances you explain the CDC health care worker guidelines. In others you say that Hep C delaying HIV antibodies is very rare and that it dates back to a rare case back in 1997.

So my real question is just to sum this up in a simple term so that everyone doesn't freak out, or get confused. (I got confused and freaked out! haha)

1)Would you say that the health care worker guidelines are in place because of that rare event that occured in 1997?

2)Would you say that Hep C delaying HIV antibodies from occuring is a very rare occurence and that it has not happened many times throughtout history?

3)Also, would you state that the majority of people can rest assured with their 3 month HIV test and not worry about HEP C delaying their antibodies?

Thank you for your time, and hopefully everyone can rest assured with your response, and everyone can stop asking you! Thanks again!

Thank you for your question.

First of all, it is very uncommon for a person to acquire both HIV and HCV after the same exposure.

Second, extended testing for HIV is ONLY recommended IF the person develops acute HCV as well.

There are only rare case reports about late seroconversion for HIV, but these occurred in the circumstance where the patient first developed acute HCV infection. These data uncommonly apply to most patients.

Hope this is helpful.

HCV Treatment
Help with Hepatitis profile test and medical advise