Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CAN YOU EXPLAIN AN ANSWER????FOR ALL READERS OF THE FORUM!!!!
Jun 15, 2008

Dr, McGovern, First off I would like to thank you because the work you do here is really noble, and kind. I was hoping you could explain a question that has been asked numerous times on this site. Can Hepatitis C delay HIV Seroconversion?

Now I know you have addressed this numerous times, but after reading many of your responses there is some confusion. In many instances you explain the CDC health care worker guidelines. In others you say that Hep C delaying HIV antibodies is very rare and that it dates back to a rare case back in 1997.

So my real question is just to sum this up in a simple term so that everyone doesn't freak out, or get confused. (I got confused and freaked out! haha)

1)Would you say that the health care worker guidelines are in place because of that rare event that occured in 1997?

2)Would you say that Hep C delaying HIV antibodies from occuring is a very rare occurence and that it has not happened many times throughtout history?

3)Also, would you state that the majority of people can rest assured with their 3 month HIV test and not worry about HEP C delaying their antibodies?

Thank you for your time, and hopefully everyone can rest assured with your response, and everyone can stop asking you! Thanks again!

Response from Dr. McGovern

Thank you for your question.

First of all, it is very uncommon for a person to acquire both HIV and HCV after the same exposure.

Second, extended testing for HIV is ONLY recommended IF the person develops acute HCV as well.

There are only rare case reports about late seroconversion for HIV, but these occurred in the circumstance where the patient first developed acute HCV infection. These data uncommonly apply to most patients.

Hope this is helpful.

Previous
HCV Treatment
Next
Help with Hepatitis profile test and medical advise

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.