For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Have I cleared hepatits C?

Hi Dr. McGovern,

I have been HIV positive since November 2006. Then I was also diagnosed with hepatitis C in November 2007. This was a shock as I dont do drugs and I am not very promiscuous. I was not pleased with my first doctor and switched to a new, very well respected, doctor in March 2008. Here is a breakdown of my hepatitis history:

11/2007 antibodies strongly positive, negative viral load ( <10 ), liver functions normal 01/2008 antibodies strongly positive, viral load 5,000, liver functions normal 03/2008 antibodies strongly positive, negative viral load ( <10 ), liver functions normal 05/2008 antibodies strongly positive, negative viral load ( <10 ), liver functions normal

My new doctor decided to start me on Atripla in March 2008. He believed that my body was in the process of or had already cleared the virus, and he wanted my immune system to be as strong as possible. My HIV viral load was 21,000 and my CD4s were 320 with a high percentage of helper cells (27%). My doctor rechecked my viral load 28 days after starting the Atripla and I was completely undetectable (my doctor said this was very good as it usually takes longer than that).

My question for you is, do you think I have cleared the hepatitis C? My doctor believes that I have.

Any help you could provide would be very greatly appreciated.

You have had two HCV RNA results in March and May without detectable virus. I would consider that evidence consistent with clearance.

Be certain that you are protected - or immunized - against Hepatitis A and B as well.

Please help! Can HBs Ag reactive be nonreactive?
use of interferon