Untreated Hepatitis C

I know that elevated enzyme levels (ALT, AST etc) are indicators of liver cell damage. If such levels have been elevated for two decades, but no treatment was sought and/or recommended, is it almost a certainty that the liver has been deteriorating the whole time and thus greatly enhances the probability of severe liver damage.

Thanks Mike

There has not been a good correlation between elevated ALT and AST and the amount of liver damage. I would be more concerned about the extent of background alcohol use.

A biopsy will give good information about the extent of liver damage. However, I don't usually get a biopsy in patients with genotype 2 or 3 infection since they respond so well to treatment.

ALT AST levels and liver damage
HIV-Hep coinfection: test results definitive?